The Narrator is a supporting character on the series WordGirl, and voiced by Chris Parnell (of Saturday Night Live fame). The Narrator has a secret ambition to serve as the narrator on 60 Minutes, and has no "physical" form, as stated more than once throughout various episodes. He not only announces, but he apparently does so from an omniscient viewpoint, for he can tell what characters are thinking and what is going on at different parts of the city simultaneously, as well as only have certain characters hear him and not others if he so chooses. This unseen mediator can talk to and interact with any character, though he most often converses with WordGirl, quite often breaking the fourth wall, as some might say.
The Narrator has also been known to intervene in the story’s action, and his words and judgments during these circumstances generally lead the viewers to believe that he's not-so-secretly always on WordGirl’s side, far enough to even appear to be "playing favorites" or even biased. More than once he has been used as a plot device to move things along, and to help WordGirl:
- In "Princess Triana and the Ogre of Castlebum", he tells WordGirl that Tobey is in the belly of his robot.
- In "Mount Rushhere", during a scene where WordGirl asks him "Aren't you on my side?", he replies "I don't really pick sides, I just narrate".
- In "Wordbot", he exclaims to WordGirl: "WATCH OUT!", giving warning to her, and then she dodges a giant projectile. After being thanked by WordGirl, The Narrator then replies "I'm not just a narrator, I'm also a devoted friend." WordGirl becomes moved by this, based upon her facial expression.
- The Narrator's Brother (appeared in the episode Mecha-Mouse)
- The Narrator also mentions he has a mother who cooks well, claiming it is better than others' mothers' cooking.