|A/K/A||Mr. Big (villain alias)|
|Occupation||Chairman and CEO, Mr. Big Industries|
|Abilities||Using mind control devices|
|Voice Actor||Jeffrey Tambor|
Mr. Big (real name Shelly Smalls) is a villain on the series WordGirl, voiced by actor Jeffrey Tambor. He is a self-proclaimed rich, evil corporate businessman, and CEO of the self-titled Mr. Big Industries (which has a golden corporate logo with Mr. Big's face on it). Mr. Big's specialty is mind-control, as evidenced in his company's mission statement: "We strive to constantly use mind-control." He is equivalent to Lex Luther from Superman.
He invented The Thing and The Mega-Thing, white cubic objects that do absolutely nothing, yet they fly off the shelves. Other Mr. Big Industries' products include: Mr. Big's Big Book of Big Words (a dictionary), the Wordsucker (a microphone), the Hero Sucker (a giant vacuum) and a Walk and Talk WordGirl Doll that does the opposite of the real super-heroine, like using the word "strategery" instead of "strategy" and enables them (via mind control) to buy useless spin-off products such as the Official WordGirl Tree-Shaker.
His assistant, Leslie, carries out the majority of details (even some heavy labor and sidekick-monkey-fighting) for Mr. Big's evil plans, and helps to make his attempts at money-making schemes and villainous bids for City Hall successful, even if they never fully succeed due to WordGirl's efforts.
Other than his great love for his self, money, and power, he also loves very squishy things, and is never without his squishy bunny toy. Some hobbies and interests of his over time have been golf, yoga, and being a lead-singer in his own pop band in his youth.
- In the episode "Big's Big Bounce", it is revealed that he has a dislike of children, saying that he doesn't want to help the Fair City Scout Troop kids, but does anyway so he could win a trampoline - something he had wanted since he was a little boy.
- In the episode "Tiny Big", he reveals he was once the lead singer in a band called "Rockaroni", where he sang songs like "I Wanna Date Your Money."
- He states a few times in the episode "Big Business" that he loves frozen yogurt, describing it as "sweet and creamy".
- He also complains in a couple of episodes that he "didn't go to a fancy word college and only took business classes" as an excuse of not getting all the words right.
- Mr. Big also states that he did magic tricks as a child in the episode "WordGirl Makes a Mistake".
- When he was a child, Mr. Big went to Woodview Elementary, where he tried to take over the Daily Rag. He temporarily succeeds later in life in "Truth, Revision, and the Lexicon Way", but is shut down by WordGirl after he prints several misleading articles. The principal then intervenes, and takes Mr. Big (Shelly Smalls) to her office.